These attitudes seem to exist worldwide:
In short, some people left the film disgusted with humanity and became disengaged with reality and the meaning of life.
This is very strange. I thought Avatar was cool. It had awesome special effects and an okay but not all too unique plot (Pocahontas anyone??). The movie was hyped and I mostly agree with the hype - it was an epic movie. I left the movie thinking it was a well done motion picture. I was anything but depressed out of my brains.
I think that movies, books, and other media can be a great catalyst to think about life and the deeper meaning of things. However, the attitudes expressed in this article blow my mind. To those with these attitudes: this is just a movie! A fictional movie! Fictional means that it's made up; it's not real. It's James Cameron's brain-child! Neither Pandora nor the Na'vi exist! Quit longing for the unobtainable. This is a pipe dream! Now get up, change out of your sweatpants, take a shower, and put on some presentable clothing.
Back? Great! Look around. Humanity and the world are not damned - there is a lot of good out there. I know it's hard sometimes. I'm pretty sure I felt similarly when I found out that the hover-board from Back to the Future doesn't exit, I'd never get to fly on the Millennium Falcon with Chewbacca, and there really is no way "to get to Sesame Street." I was five years old.
Again, there is a lot of good out there. For starters, let me offer this clip to help cheer you up!

Wow... I feel that there may be a real-world, personal application to me. Only it isn't Avatar that has disillusioned me. And I really don't think that the human race as a whole is damned. (It might have been the romances that have completely fouled up my ability to accept reality.)
ReplyDeleteBut really, the whole point of this comment was to thank you for that...er, AMAZING song. It will probably be in my head the remainder of the day.